Procedures for Overseas Couples

Working with overseas couples for an Australian Wedding is easy. The same applies when one party to the marriage is overseas and the other person is here in Australia. There are just a few administrative details to adhere to, and then we work via Skype, phone and email. If you are able to make a visit to Australia prior to your wedding I can work with you to plan a meeting. The main paperwork that must be completed include:

a) A ‘Notice of Intended Marriage Form’ must be completed
b) Original Photo Identification and Proof of date and place of birth documentation must be viewed (see below for details)

A Notice of Intended Marriage form must be completed and lodged with me at least one month prior to the wedding. Once lodged with me this form is valid for a maximum period of 18months.

I usually get couples to handle this as early as possible to ensure we have no last minute hiccups.

This form can be completed by you overseas – then witnessed by the appropriate officer then mailed to me. Or if the bride or groom are in Australia – we can fill the Form in with just one person – then get the other party to complete when they arrive in Australia. (and the month starts from the time that one person has signed the form and I have witnessed their signature)

The Page 3 of the form must be completed carefully, then taken to an appropriate officer to witness your signatures. An appropriate officer who can sign this form outside of Australia is one of the following:

  • An Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • An Australian Consular Officer
  • A Notary Public – A person in any country publicly authorised to attest contracts and perform other formalities. Someone authorised to witness legal documents.
  • An employee of the Commonwealth authorised under para 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955
  • An Employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under para 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 195

The easiest of all of these is usually the Notary Public. Once this has been done the form should be forwarded to me via email first, then by registered mail.

When you arrive in the country I can then view your original Identification and Documentation as listed on the page detailing Legal Requirements.

Once the paperwork is out of the way we can then start working on your ceremony – I would then go through the same process with you as I do for couples that reside in Australia.




Congratulations Mikkel and Helene on your January Wedding. They flew in and eloped in January 2013


Once married you may require an Apostille Stamp on the certificate for your country to recognise the document as legal.

How to order an Apostille Stamp